I purchased the fabric for the dress and now I need to modify the design to suit the fabric. I went to one of my favorite fabric stores, Sarah Fabrics in Takoma Park, taking my daughter with me. I selected a “dotted” chiffon fabric. I didn’t want a whole dress out of this fabric, so I selected a pale taupe and a black charmeuse. After consulting my daughter I decided to make the bodice out of the pale taupe, the midriff out of the black charmeuse, and the skirt from the “dotted” chiffon. I will line the skirt with the pale taupe charmeuse.
Since the chiffon is dotted, I will not add embroidery to this dress. Also, I am changing the skirt because of the chiffon fabric. The A-line shape won’t show the flow of the fabric, and the gore seams would interrupt the pattern in the fabric too much. The skirt needs more flare. The skirt in View A could work, not many seams and it flares.
Yesterday, I did the muslin, checking the fit on the dressform I made. I need to hit the gym HARD. All the summer cookouts and no workouts have resulted in me being bigger than the dressform. It didn’t take much time.
Today, I worked on constructing the midriff. I used the technique of sandwiching the stiff interfacing between the fabric and a lightweight fusible interfacing to avoid bulky seams and a lot of handwork.